College of Veterinary Medicine

From the Dean

The Accelerating Speed of Information Travel

by Bryan 19. March 2009 08:16

I commented at the end of my post about the triplet bull calves the other day about how quickly this story went from birth to picked up by MSNBC -- about 5 hours.  Within a few more hours this story was picked up by media in Washington DC, Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Greenville, Monterey, Pasco, Eugene, the UK, and a blog in Asia, among many others.

Even though I have always thought that I was up on the latest technologies, I still remain amazed at the acceleration of the pace at which we now are able to communicate absolutely anything and everything around the globe.  This video on YouTube drives home the point of the pace of change more generally, and the role of technology in that change.

Last year, for example, it was estimated that there were 1 billion internet devices in the world, compared to a mere 1 million only 15 years earlier.  So how does this affect how we communicate?  There are generational differences because of this rapid change, so it is hard to generalize.  However, for example, it is becoming increasingly common for health professionals to use text messaging to provide frequent, periodic updates to their patients and clients.  Are you?  Should you?  Probably... expectations for communication are very different now than they were only a few years ago.  And within short order, they will change again.

I also wonder about the social and societal implications of almost instant global communications.  But, I'll let someone smarter than me comment on that.

Tags: , ,

Comments (27) -

3/21/2009 11:15:32 AM #

John

Another question is what does this information revolution mean for curriculum and its delivery, both for the providers and for the recipients?

From Digital Ethnography

A vision of students today (short)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o&NR=1

Presentation: From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-able (long)
hosted.mediasite.com/.../

John United States

3/23/2009 4:35:48 PM #

free cursors

... and to that, where is the value of education when you can just google everything?

free cursors United States

4/3/2009 7:38:05 AM #

Software-won't-let-me-enter-Bryan

The simple answer to the question by "free cursors" is that education is far more than information transmission.  It includes learning how to be a thinker, learning to self-learn, learning to communicate, and in our context learning what it means to be a professional and medical skills training that transcend simple information transmission.

A good answer is much more complicated.  Note, however, that even though there is incredible value to a face to face educational experience, I think we must innovate in ways the sites John pointed us to outline, or we will not be doing the best we can do as educators.  To the extent we can innovate with the way information is transmitted, we can do a better job focusing on the face-to-face aspects that are critically important.

Software-won't-let-me-enter-Bryan United States

4/9/2009 4:17:41 AM #

yachtcharter griechenland

That's great, I never thought about The Accelerating Speed of Information Travellike that before.

yachtcharter griechenland United States

4/13/2009 4:58:47 AM #

yachtcharter griechenland

yachtcharter griechenland United States

4/13/2009 4:59:21 AM #

yacht charter greece

yacht charter greece United States

5/14/2009 4:26:44 AM #

“Yacht charter Greece”

Good post, but have you thought about The Accelerating Speed of Information Travel before?

“Yacht charter Greece” Greece

5/14/2009 4:27:02 AM #

“yachtcharter griechenland”

“yachtcharter griechenland” Greece

5/28/2009 12:02:20 AM #

Green Tea Diet Pills

Nice post.thanks for sharing with us

Green Tea Diet Pills United States

5/29/2009 4:28:19 AM #

Very cheap laptops

I'm constantly amazed by how fast technology evolves. The internet is a prime example, as is text messaging and cell phone technology. I just wonder where we'll be in another 10 or 15 years time.

Very cheap laptops United Kingdom

6/1/2009 12:53:49 AM #

Music

After 10 20 years we definatly will be in a very good place. That's all the karma of science

Music United States

6/4/2009 3:39:09 PM #

tukang nggame

informative post, thanks for share this

tukang nggame United States

6/10/2009 10:34:03 AM #

belajar seo

thanks for the great offer, this really nice idea

belajar seo United States

6/12/2009 9:03:21 AM #

tukang nggame

Nice accelaration

tukang nggame

6/16/2009 7:14:38 AM #

dissertation

The peace and relaxing that bring this country with many beaches, coast, mountain, history, culture and many other thing that give you Sosua in the Dominican Republic is great.

dissertation United States

6/16/2009 9:40:17 PM #

cz jewelry

we are in the age of information overload...

cz jewelry United States

6/16/2009 10:35:00 PM #

master degree

different sites but anywhere is similar that Sosua, I visited this country and I stayed about three weeks in the hotel Sosua Bay beach Resort.

master degree United States

6/16/2009 10:38:35 PM #

Online University Faculty

Online University Faculty United States

6/16/2009 10:40:52 PM #

scholarship program

the age of information overload...

scholarship program United States

6/16/2009 10:41:20 PM #

Fee Payment Options

Fee Payment Options United States

6/16/2009 10:42:17 PM #

Online University Faculty

Online University Faculty United States

6/21/2009 4:24:29 PM #

Tukang Nggame

The article is useful for me. I’ll be coming back to your blog.

Tukang Nggame United States

6/22/2009 10:20:00 PM #

Life Insurance Quote

Can information travel faster than the speed of light?

Life Insurance Quote United States

6/23/2009 7:51:36 AM #

Free Internet Advertising

No, travelling equall or beyond the speed of light is not possible for information to travel...

Free Internet Advertising United States

7/6/2009 8:55:50 AM #

Life Assurance Bureau

Hmm information is only going to be passed quicker as time and technology progress

Life Assurance Bureau United Kingdom

7/9/2009 11:49:32 PM #

Yacht Charter Greece

Wow, I never knew that The Accelerating Speed of Information Travel. That's pretty interesting…

Yacht Charter Greece India

7/9/2009 11:50:42 PM #

yachtcharter griechenland

I was just thinking about travelling equall or beyond the speed of lightand you've really helped out. Thanks!

yachtcharter griechenland India